Employees’ Provident Fund is a statutory body established by the Employees’ Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provisions Act, 1952. On 1 October 2014, the government of India launched Universal Account Number for Employees covered by EPFO to enable PF number portability.
The question of providing for the future of industrial workers after their retirement or for their dependents, in the event of their premature death, engaged the attention of the Central Government for a long time.
UNIVERSAL ACCOUNT NUMBER (UAN)
The Universal Account Number (UAN) is a 12-digit number allotted to employees who are contributing to EPF. It will be generated for each of the PF member by EPFO. The UAN remains same through the lifetime of an employee. It does not change with the change in jobs. This will help the member to view details of all the Member Identification Numbers (Member Id) linked to it.
There are new UAN portal start to check your EPF balance and nowadays all the details like how to check UAN status, download UAN EPF passbook, check EPF balance, provident fund claim and many more facility provided by new UAN portal.
Procedure For Getting UAN Number:
- Step 1: Go to the UAN portal
- Step 2: Click on the Direct UAN allotment by Employees link, near the bottom right of the page.
- Step 3: Enter Aadhar No. and wait for One Time Password (OTP) to be generated and sent to your registered mobile no.
- Step 4: Enter the OTP and wait till the system fetch your info. and auto fill the required fields
- Step 5: Click to obtain your UAN. You will also receive the UAN through SMS
- Identity proof: Driving License, Passport, Voter ID
- Address Proof: Ration Card, Rental Agreement, Electricity Bill
- Bank Account Details
- PAN Card
- Aadhar Card
- Employee State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) Card
HOW UAN CAN BE ACTIVATED?
- Log on to the official EPFO website
- Go the services then, go to “For Employees”
- Click on Member UAN/online services
- Fill up the details
- Click on authorization PIN. You will get PIN on your mobile no.
- Enter the PIN and activate UAN
TYPES OF EPF CLAIM FORMS
There are types of PF Forms available from the organization for different claim process. Following are the forms:
- Form 19: This can be filed in case of final settlement of PF account by a member.
- Form 10C: This can be filed for claiming Scheme Certificate/Withdrawal Benefit as per Employee’s Pension Scheme ’95.
- Form 10D: This can be filed for pension claims.
- Form 51F: This can be filed for claiming assurance benefit as per Employees’ Deposit Linked Insurance ’76 by legal heir of a member.
- Form 20: This can be filed for claiming PF by legal heir on death of a member.
- Form 31: For claiming advance/temporary withdrawal as per Employees’ Provident Scheme ’52.
- Form 13: For transferring PF/pension between different accounts.
- Form 14: For financing a life insurance policy out of the PF account.
|Contribution By||Monthly % Contributed|
* 10% for those where there are 20 or less than 20 employees with losses incurred more than or equal to the net worth (at the end of financial year)/organizations declared sick by the Board for Industrial and Financial Reconstruction.
**12% Employer’s contribution includes 3.67% EPF and 8.33% EPS
For Example: If the monthly salary of a person is Rs.30,000. The contributions calculated are as follows-
- 12% of Rs.30,000 (Employee share)= Rs.3,600
- 3.67% (in EPF) of Rs.30,000 (Employer’s share)= Rs.1,101
- 8.33% (in EPS) of Rs.30,000 (Employer’s share)= Rs.2,499
- Total= Rs.7200/-
Q: Rate of contribution to EPF account?
Ans. The employer and employee contribute 12% each of the employee’s salary (basic + dearness allowance) to the EPF..
Q: Are there any restrictions on the withdrawal of EPF?
Ans. An employee resigning from service (except in the case of a retirement) can withdraw PF only after the expiry of two months.
Q: Can an employee transfer the PF account in case of change in employment?
Ans. In case of change in employment, an employee can transfer the PF account to the new employer by submitting Form 13. The request fort transfer can also be made online.
Q: How does the EPFO credit interest on the EPF accounts?
Ans. The EPFO credits interest on monthly running balances in the EPF accounts. The rate of interest is notified each year. For FY 19-20, rate is 8.5%